3.18.2013

Book Review: Little Princes (not to be confused with The Little Princess)

I was assigned to read this book for my South East Asia class and at first all I could think about was The Little Princess. In fact, at first glance I thought that's what it was; I did not want to read this book. The day before spring break, my professor Shobha told us that we needed to read it over the break and be prepared when we got back. Ugh.

Well, I went to California and I hauled the book with me. I didn't open it once. Oops. When I got home I started reading it and couldn't put it down. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time...or ever. I have been very interested in working in foster care and adoption for a long time and have even considered international levels. After reading this book, I have a renewed sense of why I'm in school and what I want to do; maybe it won't include living in Nepal (although, I wouldn't be opposed) but it's nice to read about someone who has done so many amazing things.



The book is about "orphans" in Nepal- but the author soon found out that these children were not orphans, they were trafficked for money. There parents are so poor and most are uneducated so when someone offers to take their child and give them a good life, they believe them. Most of the parents end up selling everything they have in order to give their child what they think will be a good life. Turns out, they end up getting sold to corrupt orphanages or as domestic servants (the kids are as young as 4 years old). Anyway, the book is about Conor (the author) and how he is reuniting the kids with their parents after years and years. I was so sad when I finished that I cried.

I will definitely be recommending this book to any and everyone! If you're looking for a good read, pick this!

No comments:

Post a Comment